Are you thinking about going to college? It can be a tough decision whether you are fresh out of high school or trying to go back to school after many years of putting your degree on the back burner. One of the reasons that some people can struggle with going to college is because of the rising cost of tuition. Then after graduation a nice chunk of your salary can go to paying off student loans.
Am I saying that people should not go to college because it's too expensive? No. But what I am saying is that because of the internet giving us the blessing of online learning there are alternatives to high college tuition like free college tuition.
University of the people is an online university that offers free tuition. Check out some of these highlights about University of the People.
- University of the People was founded in 2009 and is the first non-profit, tuition free, online American accredited university.
- Accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The DEAC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency. DEAC is also recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- The university's mission is to ensure that no student will be denied the right to access higher education due to financial constraints.
- Students are not charged for courses, course materials or annual enrollment.
- Degrees are offered as an Associate and or Bachelor degree in either Business Administration, Computer Science, or Health Science.
- An all tuition free online MBA is also offered.
- The University has backing from major donors such as Google, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Hewlett Packard, Twitter and many more.
- The president of the University is Shai Reshef, an education entrepreneur. The President's council is led by current and former leadership from several of the foremost institutions including: John Sexton, President Emeritus of NYU, George Rupp, President Emeritus of Columbia University, Nicholas Dirks, former chancellor of UC Berkeley and many more.
- University of the People has partnered with Yale Law School, NYU, the University of Edinburgh and UC Berkeley, where qualified students can apply to transfer and continue studies.
- 92% of UoPeople's graduates are employed at such companies as Amazon, Apple, Dell, Deloitte, IBM, Microsoft and JP Morgan. As well as institutions such as the UN and the World Bank.
(Highlights adapted from uopeople.edu)
So, by now you must be thinking, what's the catch? Well in my opinion there isn't one really. The website states that there is a $60 application fee and an assessment fee of $100 at the end of every course. The fee is $200 for the MBA program. The exams are given at the end of every class.
The good news is that University of the People offers a scholarship for anyone who cannot afford the fees.
Based on this, an associate degree can be completed in 2 years for $2060 and a bachelor degree can be completed in 4 years for $4060. The MBA could be completed in 15 months for $2460. The university's website explains that these fees ensure that the University remains sustainable.
If you would like to pursue a degree and don't have a scholarship or a lot of money to put into tuition this could be a good source for you. But make sure you check out the website and do your research on other options as well. Online learning is not for everyone. I will keep researching and share any free or low-cost education methods that I find here on the blog.
I would love to hear your thoughts. Have you ever attended University of the People? What low cost education routes have you taken? Please share on our Facebook page.